Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cancer

Been some time since I write anything.  Most of what I posted are basically reposts from someone else's site or some interesting news I saw online. 

I had been on Facebook reading notifications that were pushed to me for as long as I could remember but there's this particular status post on 1 Sep 2012 that strikes me. It was posted by a friend from church and this is what he said 'I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH LUNG CANCER (STAGE 2B); GUTTED AND DEVASTATED....' I didn't believe what I saw. I even thought he was joking but if he was, this is not funny. I replied to his post saying 'I hope you are joking.'. There wasn't any response from him. Shortly after, his aunty responded by introducing who she was and said it was true.

This friend, let's call him J to protect his identity, had never smoked so being diagnosed with cancer really surprised me. As I was thinking of what I can post or do to encourage him, I realized that he has been encouraging himself very well. His posting of positive statuses not only encourages himself but I believe they encourage the readers as well. So I decided to follow his notifications.

From all these, I found J to be a fighter. He doesn't throw in the towel just because God puts an obstacle infront of him. He treated this obstacle as a stepping stone instead of a tombstone. His fighting spirit and never say die attitude made me ashamed of all my problems and how I respond to them. I hope he comes out of this stronger than he already is and fully healed!

Here's some of what he posted on Facebook:

Pain is temporary,quitting lasts forever. - The Ultimate Cancer Fighter.

Cancer has taught me one of life’s most important lessons – courage.

I will stand up for cancer.Everyone who's lost their hair, their energy, their hope. Everyone who's spent the night by a loved one's hospital bed. Everyone who's had to pull out their black suits and dresses to say goodbye to yet another family/friend/colleague, who's had to watch their own children suffer.I stand up for those still in the fight and for those who have lost. For those battling this disease with a strength they never knew they had. For those who've beat it and for everyone who will.The solution is within my reach. - Random Musings of a Cancer Warrior Sept 2012.

I am not afraid of cancer as it is not a death sentence.Going for treatment is like a visit to a sauna,it burns fats(no pun intended).I am a cancer warrior!Boo-ya!

Cancer does not define me, but how I live and fight with cancer DOES defines me.



No comments:

Post a Comment