Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Aunt Agony role on FB

Have been an "Aunt Agony" on FB for awhile.  So I thought I should share a few stories here (maybe just 2 to start the ball rolling), starting from this recent one.  Names have been changed to protect the victim (yah, you don't have to guess...her name doesn't start with 'J').  Well actually, she's not the victim...she is asking questions on behalf of a friend.

Janice: Heh, do you believe that someone will like each other by merely conversing over messages and he will fly over?
Me: Nope.  I do not believe.  Where is he from?
Janice: Korea.  My friend's friend!!!  He is coming on 16
Me: Is he Asian or Caucasian or Nigerian?
Janice: Korean
Me: Ok...but if he ask your friend to pay anything, go straight to the police.  Like if he call and say he got stuck at airport and bought her something but airport wants him to pay tax but he doesn't have enough $$, just go straight to the police.  No need to think!
Janice: He ask my friend to find a hotel for him for 3 days and also to find a place for him to play piano.  He wants to play for my friend.
Me: That's not hard.  Go to Agoda and help him search for a hotel.  After that, give him the link and he can book lor.  There is place in Demsey hill with a standing piano.  But I can't remember the name of the place.
Janice: He ask my friend to book for him
Me: Why can't he book?
Janice: He said that he likes my friend.  This world is crazy
Me: Whether he likes your friend or not, he can still book the hotel
Janice: Yup, I think so.  But he ask my friend to book.  My friend ask us to meet that guy.
Me: Ask your friend to tell him she don't have a credit card so can't book
Janice: And said it seems like they know each other for quite long.  Do you believe that this will happen?  Just chat on kakaotalk for a week and he is flying over.
Me: I don't beleive
Janice: He is really flying over to meet my friend on 16.  He even ask my friend to go on leave...oh gosh
Me: Ask your friend to be careful.  He might or might not be genuine, I don't know.  But it's best to be careful now than to regret later.
Janice: I don't know.  I've already reminded her!!  But I guess, she is big enough to know
Me: Hope everything goes well
Janice:  Yah, now I've got 2 friends like that

I can't stress enough that one has to be careful when meeting online friends.  There are too many con artists around.  Some will send gifts via some courier services that you've never heard of and then it will somehow get stuck somewhere and require you to pay a few thousand dollars worth of taxes for custom to release the item.  Payment will usually be via Western Union.  Then there are some who said they will fly over but got stuck at airport due to tax issues for some gifts they brought over and they surprisingly didn't have enough $$ on them and requested you send them money...ALL these are fake!  Please don't get so desperate and fall into their trap coz whether you like to hear or not, they did not come so they are not stuck in airport and nope....they did not send you anything.  The "courier service" is probably from their own syndicate!

And to those con artists...how on earth are you able to sleep at night? Tsk tsk tsk *shakes head*

No comments:

Post a Comment